As summer approaches and end of year festivities begin, it can be handy to have a few quick and easy nutritious recipes in your back pocket to get you through the last minute BBQs, picnics and end of year celebrations.
White bean dip
Move over hummus, this quick and easy beauty will be your go-to recipe for summer! Kids and adults alike will devour it. Spread over toasted baguette, serve with raw veg sticks or lather over pita bread and roll up with salad and grated cheese.
1 clove minced garlic
½ teaspoon coarse salt
2 cans drained and rinsed white beans, such as great northern or cannellini
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the garlic, salt, beans, and lemon juice in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade and process until fairly smooth.
- Scrape down the inside of the canister, then add the oil in a thin stream through the feed tube as the machine runs to create a rich spread.
- Transfer into a bowl and serve.
- Tip: White bean dip refrigerates well for 2-3 days. For best flavour, let it come back to room temperature on the bench for 30 mins before serving.
Lemon blondie bites
A simple sweet treat that travels well.
1 cup pitted dates
¾ cup rolled oats
½ cup raw cashews
1½ teaspoons lemon zest
¼–½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Couple pinches sea salt
1½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
3–4 teaspoons shredded coconut
½ teaspoon lemon zest
- In a food processor, add the dates, oats, cashews, lemon zest, vanilla bean seeds, sea salt, and lemon juice and process. At first it will appear as if nothing is happening and the mixture is just whirring around crumbs, but it will soon start to become sticky.
- When the mixture starts to become a little sticky, add the shredded coconut and process again. Continue to process until the dough forms a ball on the blade. Remove blade or transfer the dough to a bowl.
- Take 1 tablespoon scoops of the dough and roll in your hand. Repeat until you have used all of the dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the shredded coconut, rolled oats, and lemon zest. Toss or roll the balls in the coating, and refrigerate to firm up.
Makes 14–16 balls
Beetroot, lentil and feta salad
Need a last minute ‘bring a plate’ salad? This bright and tasty recipe can be whipped up in no time. The canned ingredients can be kept on hand as a pantry staple.
450g can of whole baby beetroot
400g can lentils, drained and rinsed well
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
2 -3 large handfuls of rocket
½ cup feta, crumbed
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut any larger beetroot in half or quarter and combine with lentils and spring onions in a bowl.
- Combine olive oil and vinegar to make dressing.
- Add rocket to the bowl and drizzle with dressing. Gently toss to coat.
- Transfer salad to serving platter. Scatter with feta and a sprinkle of pepper.